Our mission at Backstage Library Works is to provide high-quality, cost-effective professional services that preserve, organize, describe, and connect you to the world’s knowledge.
POSITION TITLE: Para-Professional Cataloger
DIRECT SUPERVISOR: Team Leader
SALARY: $15.25 per hour
POSITION STATUS: Open until filled
As a Cataloger with Backstage Library Work’s Metadata Services Department, you will be trained on the principles of cataloging in MARC21: you will learn current RDA standards, subject analysis skills, and become familiar with Library of Congress Subject Headings and Classifications. With time, your skill set will expand outwards into cataloging in alternative formats, using other subject headings schemes, and cataloging more expansive forms of media including CDs, DVDs, electronic resources, and serials as projects demand.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include performing original and copy cataloging for client libraries. Materials are predominantly in English and Western European languages, with a smaller percentage in non-Latin scripts (for example, Cyrillic, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Arabic, Hebrew, etc). Knowledge of these languages is helpful but not required. Additional tasks may include physical processing such as barcoding and labeling. It is also required that you maintain a certain level of quality and productivity to ensure that project work is completed accurately and on schedule.
This is a permanent full-time position (40 hours per week). This is a flexible position, Monday – Friday with core daytime hours. Full-time shifts include one 30-minute unpaid lunch break and one 15-minute paid break. Benefits include accrued paid time off and holiday pay. Medical, dental, and eye care plans available and Backstage offers a competitive 401k match. The position is located on-site in our Bethlehem office, but may eventually transition into a nearby satellite location within the next two years.
- Perform original & copy cataloging using library standards
- Search for existing copy in library databases
- Proof and verify information in both copy and original records
- Meet daily production levels and quality expectations
- Transport materials between shelving and individual work stations
- Make informed decisions independently within given specifications
Required Qualifications & Skills
- Attentiveness to detail and quality
- Able to work in a deadline-oriented, production environment
- Able to work productively and independently
- Able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Strong organizational skills
- Basic computer skills
- Basic familiarity with Windows
- Type speed minimum: 50+ wpm
- Must pass a general knowledge test
Preferred Additional Qualifications & Skills, But Not Required
- Familiarity with library standards, including RDA, MARC21, AACR2, LC Classification, and LCSH
- Knowledge of one or more foreign languages
- Experience with OCLC Connexion
A background check and drug screening will be a mandatory part of the hiring process.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and résumé/CV to Kelli Moyer, project manager, at moc.wlsb@reyomk.
Learn More About Us!
- We post on our blog regularly about the latest topics in the industry.
- Conferences are a great way to network and attend discussions about librarianship and the latest technologies.
Our social has regular updates – links below!