February 22, 2017
Backstage Library Works provides high quality, cost effective professional services to help librarians serve their constituencies.
The micrographic technician will be responsible for daily microfilm production of library and archival material, which includes rare and brittle items, bound and disbound books, manuscripts, newspapers and scrapbooks, in a production environment.
- Permanent full-time position.
- 8.5 hour days, minus 30-minute unpaid lunch, 40 hours per week.
- Second shift position. Hours are 3:30 p.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Must be available to train on first shift for up to three weeks.
- Understand the basic functions of a reformatting camera, including the ability to independently load and remove 35mm microfilm, set appropriate parameters, and take accurate density readings.
- Handle, with care, fragile and brittle materials to be filmed, including bound and disbound books, manuscripts, newspapers, and scrapbooks.
- Film on various formats – using a copyboard and cradle without damaging material.
- Follow written project instructions and specifications in order to ensure preservation quality microfilm.
- Able and willing to learn all preparation, darkroom, and quality assurance processes.
- Filming up to and including 40-hours per week.
- Meets or exceeds in-house production and attendance requirements.
- Performs periodic testing when needed.
- Completes and maintains production and status records.
- Participates in filming client samples and tests.
- Participates in client and group tours of the facility.
- College Degree, certificate, or two years production or preservation/reformatting experience.
- Detail oriented.
- Able to work with rare and fragile materials in a production environment.
- Able to work in a team environment and have good communication skills.
- Able to maintain a production rate as stated in the standards manual.
- Ability to learn or have minimum computer skills.
- Work productively and independently while meeting daily production levels.
- Learn new skills quickly and thoroughly.
- Problem-solving and ability to follow written and verbal instructions with little supervision.
- Ability to work flexible/overtime hours on occasion.
- Must meet requirements for Backstage Library Works and pass a written test.
- Must have valid driver’s license and transportation.
DESIRABLE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Microfilm and/or reformatting experience.
- $12.50 per hour.
- This position is a non-exempt, fully benefited position, including eight paid holidays per year, twelve PTO days per year, major medical/dental/vision, tuition reimbursement, and 401k retirement plan with employer match.
Please send your resume and cover letter by close-of-business on Tuesday, February 28, 2017.
Microfilm Product Manager
A basic skills test will be given to evaluate qualifications.
A background check and drug screen will be part of the application process.